• USS Elmore (APA-42) was decommissioned on 13 March 1946 at Mobile, AL.
• Returned to the Maritime Commission, 15 May 1946, for disposal, name reverted to SS Sea Panther
• Sold for commercial service, 22 May 1947, to Pacific Transport Lines, renamed SS China Transport
• Sold to States Steamship Co. in August 1957, renamed SS Oregon
• Renamed SS Idaho, 30 December 1959
• Title transferred to the Maritime Administration, 20 May 1966 (trade-in program)
• Returned to the Maritime Administration, 4 August 1969, at Olympia, WA.
• Final Disposition sold for scrapping, 30 April 1971, to American Ship Dismantlers Inc. (PD-X-901 dated 13 April 1971) for $73,111.00
SS China Transport (former USS Elmore) of Pacific Transport Lines (PTL) [1947-1957] in Hawaii. Click to zoom
SS China Transport, Pacific Transport Lines, at San Francisco, 1952. Provided by Chuck Durand. Click to zoom
SS Idaho, States Steamship Co., at Vancouver, BC, Canada on 11 June 1960. City of Vancouver Archives. Click to zoom
Japanese ukiyo-e calendar printed by early 20th century Shin-Hanga master, Kawase Hasui (1883-1957.) The calendar was commissioned by Pacific Transport Lines in 1953, only 500 were made. It includes 12 original prints, from Hasui’s original woodblocks. While this sort of project was rare for an ukiyo-e artist to undertake, Christie's (auction house) commented: “It seems that he became quite absorbed in the project, striving to portray a true sense of the Japanese landscape.” Click to zoom
Pacific Transport Lines (PTL) brochure, circa 1950. The photo features SS China Transport (former USS Elmore), a modern white cargoliner. Click to zoom.
Interior of brochure (above). PTL spared no expense in converting Elmore to commercial use. The crew of the Elmore would not recognize this ship. Click to zoom.
Pacific Cargo Lines (PCL) converted their WWII transports into cargo liners. These were tramp steams but on a regular schedule. Revenue was generated by providing both passenger accomodations (first-class accommodation for 20 passengers) and cargo shipment. Click to zoom.
PTL sailing schedule, March-May, 1955 (issued March 15, 1955). The brochure lists five ships in the PTL fleet: Pacific Transport, China Transport (former USS Elmore), Philippine Transport, Japan Transport, and America Transport. Click to zoom.
PTL advertisement postcard (front) featuring SS China Transport. Click to zoom.
PTL advertisement postcard (flipside) featuring SS China Transport. Click to zoom.
Source: Schedules are from the collection of Björn Larsson at timetableimages.com.